Sunday, September 7, 2014

Kuching City Day Parade

I go to Kuching Park nearly every day, when the weather permits and of course, whenever I have the time. Sometimes I go in the morning, sometimes in the evening. It's a large area to walk, a favourite park of lots of Kuchingites, young and old.

D wanted to come along with me yesterday ..... but as we were about to turn into the park, we found that the roads were closed for the Kuching City Day Parade. So .... instead of going walking at the park, we stood around to watch the parade!

There were so many contingents, many in fancy colourful costumes .... We would have loved to stay and watch them all .... but unfortunately nearing the end, it started to rain. D and I ended up running to the car ... 

The rain spoiled the event but did not dampen the spirit.

One of the floats ....

When D and I got there, most of the floats had already left as the parade had begun. Those that were left there were waiting for their turns to begin .... Later on, we found out that each contingent would perform to a panel of judges seated at a platform in front of the community hall before proceeding to march down the parade route. 

 So colourful and cute! 
I loved these balloon carts pushed by these little children in colourful costumes. Just looking at them made me happy! I later found out that my niece B was among these kids .... but unfortunately, I did not see her and watch out for her. She was in a dolphin costume! No wonder I did not notice her. Lol.

At the front of the community hall where the contingents were performing 

This little cat-girls group from St. Teresa's were dancing to rhythmic music and they had the Kuching City South Mayor, James Chan (in blue) dancing along. 

The dancers from Imperial Dance Studio Kuching did a beautiful number as well

The Green Road Secondary School marching band marched in formation ... I never knew there were so many bands in Kuching! I particularly loved the engaging and energetic performance put up by the SMK St. Teresa's team.

The STS Band did a great job! Video courtesy of D.

 The cosplayers .... 
A small but interesting group .... See Harry Potter? Lol .... unfortunately I did not know the rest of the characters. 

 This has to be the most beautiful performance, so colourful and beautifully choreographed 

Such lovely costumes .... 

The Dance Academy put up this dance entitled "Garden City" ... it was really lovely. 

 The swans!!
The crowd squealed in delight watching the performances by these little children! 

There were many more contingents, like those from IPG Batu Lintang, Telekom Malaysia, Sekolah Seni, Lim Kok Wing University and many more. All of the contingents put up commendable performances, much to the delight of the audiences. The Kuching City Day Parade marks the end of the Kuching Festival.  D and I enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...