Monday, September 29, 2014

Braised Pork Rice @ 5 Loaves 2 Fish

Lots of people seemed to like the braised pork rice here. So I decided that I had to have a try. I went in search of the little outlet and was glad to have found it. And well, I did not hesitate on what to order, for I knew I was trying its signature braised pork rice.

Nice presentation .... 

The Braised Pork Rice cost RM4.50 a bowl. It was quite a big bowl too! Lots or rice covered with a generous amount of braised meat, some chopped preserved vegetable stirfry, and half a hard-boiled egg.

Let me start with the rice. I liked the rice served hot, and I liked that it was loosened up and fluffy. Nice. Next, I liked the chopped preserved vegetable. I liked its texture, for it was cut finely and yet not minced up. I liked that it tasted sour as well, bringing a zest to the whole dish. Then, there's the egg. It was not braised, but just topped with some of the braised meat.

The most important ingredient here, I suppose, would be the braised meat. This version here, was cooked using minced pork, and had a very strong taste of shallots. I felt that this version was more suitable to be used as filling for kompia, rather than to eat with rice. Hence, the braised meat as not as good as I thought it was, and definitely fell short in comparison to Badoyao's aromatic version.

I'd come back to try the other dishes though ... like the mee suah soup and the red yeast pork rice. :))

2 comments:

  1. the pork braised rice is definitely a bargain at RM4.50! preserved veggie with braised pork is very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but the taste was not that great though.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...