Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Kuching Festival Fair 2014 : People's Fair 1

Preparation for the Kuching Festival Fair began the second week of July, when contractors started putting up colourful lights at the park where I exercise daily. Then I saw the white canopies being erected at various stages, and then filled up the fair grounds.I saw signs of every shape and sizes and colours being put up at the canopies.  And I anticipate.

Well, the Kuching Festival is back. The highlight every year is of course, the food fair. This year, it is dubbed the "People's Fair 2014". Not sure why though? But most probably, the exposition would be a fair by the people for the people. And yes, people were everywhere! It was crowded even at 6 p.m. on a week day.

Well, I'd been there for the very first time today, and here was what I had for Round 1. Lol. I'm planning to go over to the fair at least a few more times before it will be all over on 24 August.

From a stall called Fried King, I bought an oyster omelette.

 Teochew-style oyster omelette, RM10.00 each
Teochew-style omelette, is the non-crispy version, as potato starch is used. 

The omelettes were cooking gently on the flat stove, and when I ordered one, the lady vendor flipped a piece over and browned it before cutting it and serving it in a polystyrene box. 

Yummy ... 

The oyster omelette was alright .... the starch was chewy and a tad thick for me. Not too bad, but not that great either. 

From a stall called Sausage Corner, I bought .... 

Spicy Taiwanese Sausage, RM2.00 

D frowned at the sight of the sausage. He was about to start one of his lectures about processed food .... but of course I refused to listen. Lol. Anyway, this sausage tasted very firm, not too sweet and just a little bit spicy.

D wanted to eat clean. Haha ..... so from the Verynice Restaurant kiosk, he bought ....

 Mixed vegetables stirfry

Sweet and spicy eggs

Lol ..... no carbs allowed for D .... except maybe on half of the oyster omelette. D and I also had some cut fruits.

So while we were sitting there and eating ..... there were so many vendors carrying drink trays around, and asking us whether we wanted to buy drinks. Seriously, I would need to put up a tag or a sign that says "NO DRINKS FOR ME". Lols.

Ahh ..... this is the stall I came to support. My cousin's husband, J, manned his stall with his helpers. It's called Badoyao (巴豆妖), also an euphemism for "I'm hungry" in the Hokkien dialect.

All homemade! 

 The Menu

Of course, I had to buy from J .... and brought them home for the folks at home to try as well.

Legendary Lee Hui Hui, RM3.00
This is a glutinous rice cake. Its texture is quite good - all chewy. What struck the most, however, was the fragrant peanuts that the cake was coated in. So fragrant was the chopped peanuts that it compelled me to take a big bite out of the cake. The cake was steamed upon ordering .... and it was really enjoyable when hot. One could have the cake spicy or non-spicy too.

Formosa Pork Rice, RM6.00
Absolutely delicious. Fragrant, fluffy, good quality rice was used and topped with braised meat. The braised meat was savoury and very aromatic - a total improvement from the one I had eaten at his house back in June. Read here. I would however, perhaps, add another bit of the braised meat mixture - perhaps another spoonful - to make it more shiok

Well, that's about it for Round 1. I did some surveying to see the stuff I would like to try the next round. Till then, cheers. 


2 comments:

  1. Well, there's a lot of food here indeed, it's an exciting place to be if you love to eat. I'm taking it quite slow as it is. :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...