Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Belacan Beehoon

D and I went for lunch at Old Rex Cucur Udang. While D was enjoying his deep-fried fritters, I could not resist Belacan Beehoon.

"Want some?" I offered D.

"No, smelly," he replied. Well, some people find this pungent dish a little too overbearing. AT, for example, had told me that it was the worst noodle dish that he had eaten in his entire life. Lols, a little too much for some people to handle, I suppose.

I, on the other hand, loved this to bits. Today, I added another pungent ingredient to my noodles - half a century egg!

Belacan Beehoon with century egg, RM4.50

The thick rice vermicelli had more texture, and was able to carry the gravy better. The accompaniments, besides the century egg, had always been blanched beansprouts, shredded fresh cucumber, and slices of cuttlefish. The vegetables were indeed a must, as they lend a degree of freshness to the overpowering gravy. The century egg, in fact, was a modern twist to the dish - they never did have that last time. It did however, enhanced the flavour of the whole noodle dish, as it added a certain richness to it.

Well, to anyone that happens to visit Kuching, dare yourself to try Belacan Beehoon, for it's only available here in this part of Sarawak.

Read here for the fritters at Old Rex Cucur Udang Cafe.

1 comment:

  1. You talking about old rex somewhere in jalan nanas or rubber road? I wouldn't want to go there.find somewhere else to eat.you got to eat the same thing more nicer than them.The workers there are rude no manners especially the cucur pisang woman.so rude and unkind.unfriendly.Got good business they proud,no good business,they treat you very good.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...