Saturday, August 23, 2014

Yummy Lui Cha

My colleagues asked me to go with them for lunch and I did. They wanted to eat lui cha or thunder tea. At Jalan Tengah, they said.

Oh yes, I do remember eating lui cha here before. In fact, it was where I got inducted into eating this, and thereafter, falling in love with this dish.

We were there about at 12.30 p.m. and we ordered a bowl each .... and were told that the rice is almost finished. 2 of my colleagues who came late, in fact, had to have the lui cha without the rice. While previously white rice is used, now the  healthier brown rice is used.

There were 2 versions of the herbal soup here - bitter or non-bitter. Having tried both before, I much preferred the bitter version, which had a fuller flavour. All my colleagues preferred the bitter broth too.

A large bowl of lui cha cost RM6.00, while a smaller bowl sold for RM5.00.

My bowl of lui cha 

Yumm .... the lui cha tasted just like I had remembered it. The rice and vegetables, being textural aside, were well-balanced in flavour. The boiling hot soup was bitter-sweet, and warmed my stomach wonderfully. It's got detoxifying properties too, and so I made myself finish it.

Well, I've in fact, posted on this before. Read here and here.

2 comments:

  1. Lui Cha is my favourite but the word 'Lui' is not thunder. it means grinding by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, grinding the herbs finely before cooking. :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...