Thursday, August 7, 2014

Kuching Festival Fair 2014 : People's Fair 2

This evening, I had a good walk around ... and I saw more of the variety of food sold at the food fair. One particular one which looked interesting was deep-fried pork ribs which sold for RM6.00 per portion, and another which I might want to try next time was a Taiwanese-style chicken chop at one particular stall near the garden entrance. Round 3. Lols.

This evening, I bought ....

 Sesame Balls

The kiosk is located at the back as well, the sesame balls sold by a company called Lan Xiang Enterprise. There were sesame balls of many colours there .... purple, black, green, and of course the plain pale ones in golden brown. I bought 4 pieces. Sesame balls with peanut and green bean paste filling cost RM1.00 each. While the ones with butter milk filling and yam filling cost RM1.50 each. 

My variety of sesame balls

Back home, I cut the balls open .... and I was actually disappointed that the filling was so little. I think they could very well fill up the ball with a little more substance, eh? I did quite like the texture of the pastry which was chewy and enhanced by the nutty and aromatic sesame seeds; some balls were also more greasy than others. I was not so happy with my purchase this time around. 

A long queue was seen at the stall selling Salted Fish Buns. This was the hype of the food fair this year. I sat down and waited a while .... and when the queue was gone, I went to buy the buns. Yayy! No need to stand in queue. 

Pan-frying the buns 
The buns were pan-fried in salted fish flavoured oil till they were browned on both sides! 

3 pieces of Salted Fish Bun sold for RM5.00; I bought 6 pieces. They were really tiny! I could just open my mouth and pop the whole piece in. But of course, I did not do that ..... lols. 

A piece of Salted Fish Bun, glistening with grease

Salted fish flavoured minced meat inside

At first bite, it did not seem much. The salted fish flavour did not even come through! Overrated, I told D. Of course, D had a lot to say. Having a long queue did not mean that the food tasted good, he quipped. 

Back home .... 

More Salted Fish Buns ... 
These ones were more charred .... in fact, they tasted better when browned a bit more over the hot plate because the crispy bits of the pastry skin were yummier 

Taking a bite ... 

Deconstructing the Salted Fish Bun a little bit more .... well, I'd say that the minced pork was juicy. When eaten cold, the salted fish flavour became more prominent. Mom liked it. Actually, I liked it too! I ate 3 pieces! 

D .... every so health conscious ..... ate his vegetables dutifully. 

 Stir-fried vegetables

Eh? Who said he was health conscious .... 

 Fatty Pork braised in Mei Cai .... 

D bought them from the Li Garden Restaurant stall. Meanwhile, I was reserving a table for us to sit down and eat. We sat on a long table for 8. We would be happy to share the table with others. But they preferred to steal our chairs and moved them elsewhere. Lol. When we had finished eating, all the other chairs at our table were gone too! Lol. We were amused. 

We finished eating and cleared our table of the food packages and threw them at the nearest dustbin. I would urge everyone to be a little more civic-minded and clear their own tables at the food fair. It's not difficult to do. But if you don't want to, then the next best thing you can do is to throw your rubbish into the dustbin.

What a sorry sight .... 

The picture taken at the park just behind the fair grounds, on 02 August 2014, just the day after the festival was launched on 01 August 2014. You can see plastic bags and polystyrene food containers strewn all over the place. It was a sight for sore eyes. And the stench was even more unbearable. 

Be responsible for your own rubbish and do not litter. Have fun at the fair! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...