Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Har Gao @ Fook Hai

My student, M was raving about these ....

Har Gao

These were pretty old school. Fook Hai had been selling them for ages, and lots of people loved the Har Gao. I did think that it tasted pretty good, especially the minced meat filling. I find the pastry skin to be a tad too thick, however. But, erm .... where were the prawns? Hmm .... how could the prawns be missing from Har Gao? 

Lor Mai Kai

I also bought Lor Mai Kai ... and these tasted alright too, topped quite generously with seasoned chicken, pork and mushrooms. The sticky rice was full of flavour as well. Not bad .... but certainly not the best that I had eaten. :P

4 comments:

  1. You're right. What an enigma! Har Gau without prawns. When I am in Kuching, I always go to Sinkwang or Fookhai for steamed buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are pretty famous for their steamed buns. I used to love them too. Fook Hai can't seem to be consistent with their steamed buns - sometimes it's yum, but sometimes not. Nowadays, I prefer Sin Kwang. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. the loh mai kai looks good. But how come the har gao without prawns? they have run out of prawns??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Nux V, I'm so not sure! It's the very first time I'd bought these har gao. Maybe I should go back and buy some more just to check. But well, do go try them, they taste alright, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...