Sunday, January 6, 2013

Acar Fish, Lor Bak & Jiuhuchar

I've always wanted to try the Little Penang Kafe. Why? I always see a queue at the outlet at KLCC during lunch hour. One Friday noon that I was there, the queue seemed outrageously long! So it led me to wonder whether its food was yum. I would suppose so, since the mere mention of "Penang" would invoke in one's mind a mouthwatering platter of Char Kway Teow or a hot steaming bowl of Assam Laksa.

Hence, I decided to have lunch at the cafe the other day. I was at the outlet at the first floor of Mid Valley Megamall.

Table no. 20

Instead of the noodle dishes, I opted for the rice set meal, and here is the picture of my Acar Fish Set.

Acar Fish, RM15.00
Hmn .... it's my first time eating fish this way - pickled! However, the flavours were so familiar to me, because I thought it tasted similar to Mom's cucumber acar! The slice of fish was reasonably thick and was deep-fried before being pickled in vinegar and spices. It was spicy, sweet and tangy. Very appetising except that I was allergic to the vinegar. It made me cough.

The other items on the plate were

 Jiuhuchar
This is shredded jicama and carrots stir-fried with prawns and dried cuttlefish. The jicama was naturally sweet, and I think I did bite into a teensy bit of cuttlefish.

Lor bak ... and chilli paste in the background
I was glad that the chicken filling had a bit of texture. I was never very fond of Lor bak anyway.... Instead I found the chilli accompaniment more tasty, for it was fiery spicy and tangy. Yums .... the chilli paste made an indelible mark in my memory.


Penang Coffee, RM3.70
I did like the coffee though, which I found to be aromatic and brewed to perfection. 

I paid RM21.70 for my lunch, with service charge amounting to RM1.87 and a sales tax of RM1.12. But, was I impressed with the food, well .... the flavours were simple, the presentation was alright ... quite a decent meal. I suppose I'd like to come back here to try the noodles next time. 


2 comments:

  1. I have eaten at Little Penang in Mid-Valley several times, partly because it was convenient for Boulevard Hotel where I have stayed a couple of times for a work trip for my Univ. I thought the Char Kway Teow was pretty good but the range of dishes on the menu was fairly limited. I enjoyed it enough to go back though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the food was decent; probably I was expecting more. I thought the flavours were rather ordinary, at least for the set meal which I tried. Next time, I would bear in mind to try the noodle dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...