Friday, January 4, 2013

Mom's Laksa

Mom made laksa the other day ... Sarawak Laksa to be specific.

And we each had a big bowl for dinner.

My bowl
Rice vermicelli drenched in laksa gravy, and garnished with egg omelette, blanched beansprouts, shredded chicken and cooked prawns. A bit of coriander in the middle for colouring, and to enhance the flavour of the dish.

 Yums ... slurp slurp ... I finished everything in the bowl, including the gravy. Mom's laksa was better than those of many places here in Miri ... so as they say, homecooked is the best! 

Thanks Mom, for a delicious and heartwarming dinner! 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edit: What Laksa mix did mom used, was it Kuching's famous Parrot or Barrett's Brand?

      Delete
  2. That looks very appetising! I would be interested to know if this was made using a branded mix too. I tried to make laksa from scratch following a recipe but it was not too good. I think getting the right balance of spices is not easy an probably needs lots of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm ... I am not sure what brand Mom used for the laksa paste. Probably one of the "bird" brands. I know for sure that it was not Barrett's though. I'll check with her.

    Yup, it's kind of difficult to obtain the right balance; For extra flavouring some people simmer the laksa paste with chicken bones, prawn shells and onions. Then, all the ingredients are drained off the gravy before adding coconut milk. The coconut milk has to be thick. Otherwise, one will end up having a very diluted gravy.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...