Monday, January 21, 2013

Bon-Ga Korean BBQ

My parents wanted to try Korean food as they had not eaten it before. We decided to try Bon-Ga at Sri Petaling.

Well, the place looked great, and I hoped for the food to be great as well! But first up, there were six of us, and we had 2 square tables joined together. It made it rather difficult to talk during the meal. Do Koreans use round tables? ;p

There was a bottle of cold barley tea on the table, and we helped ourselves to that while browsing the menu. When we were done ordering, the banchans arrived.

 Banchans
Except for the potatoes, I enjoyed all the other side dishes. I felt that Bon-Ga wasn't very generous with the banchans. They only refilled when we asked them to. Not sure what some of the stuff were though .... 

Kimchi
I have always enjoyed spicy, sour and pungent kimchi. This one was quite yum.

 A salad
Mom enjoyed this and wondered how they made it ... I have no idea, but perhaps the pickled the long cabbage and added fresh lettuce to it. 

Fresh and crisp Coral lettuce wrap

Dolsot Bibimbap, RM20.00
It was very prominent with the taste of red pepper after we dumped in the whole saucer of gojuchang in there ... a smoky flavour was evident as well. 

Sundubu Jjigae, RM25.00
Nice, fiery red colour in the stone pot ... with quite a lot of seafood ingredients in there.

Ssamgyetang, RM38.00
I enjoyed the Ssamgyetang a lot. It had a mild ginseng flavour and the chicken was really tender. Yums.

 BBQ Pork Belly
We ordered 2 different cuts of BBQ meats  - pork belly (RM28) and jowl (RM32)... but I did not know why it was not cooked on the table. The meats came instead on 2 sizzling plates. Hence, it spoilt the experience for me. Part of the fun of eating Korean was to see the meat cook and cut on the table! Hmph! 
Of the two types of meat though, the jowl meat was leaner and tastier. The pork belly was just too fatty. You can see it for yourself in the picture.   

Pricing wise, I think Bon-Ga is quite reasonable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...