Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mom's Apam Balik

Mom always wants to cook or bake something when she is free. The other day, she had this desire to make her own Apam Balik ... it's a sort of pancake, traditionally filled with chopped peanuts, canned cream corn, butter and sugar.

Well, it's surely not her first time making these pancakes. Back home in Kuching, Mom has a brass pancake gridle which she uses to make these Apam Baliks.

Mom usually adds some chopped sesame seeds to the peanuts too .. and instead of canned cream corn, Mom likes to use fresh corn. She will buy one or two fresh ears of sweet corn, then remove the kernels off the cob before cooking them with a bit of sugar and starch.

Though I helped beat the batter for the pancake, I never asked Mom what she put in there ... ;p So I really did not know what type of flour she used.

But I did help her cook the pancake in a non-stick pan ... and then instead of chopped peanuts, I decided to put only some creamed corn  .... and cheese.

Cooked ...

Cut ... 

 Creamed corn and melted cheese ... 

The pancake was soft and chewy, and the combination of creamed corn and melted cheese was very yum ... I liked it. In fact, everyone liked it and we finished the corn and cheese pancake within minutes! Lols ... we are sure to make some more soon. ;p  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...