Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Citrus Piasau

From my previous experiences, the food at Citrus did not really leave an impression. So when my friends wanted to eat at the branch at Piasau, hmn .... naturally I was not so enthusiastic. But well, I'd give anything a try .....

When we walked into the shop, we picked a table by the front window panel ... and it was dirty. So we asked a staff to clean it. He told us the table was reserved and asked us to be seated elsewhere.

"Where? No sign," I answered back. He said he would put the sign later. I was unhappy, and I could have argued. But lucky for him, I did not want to make a scene. I contemplated walking out to head somewhere else for dinner though.

Anyway, we chose another table at the corner inside the restaurant and started perusing the menu ...

The menu .... and a lovely bucket containing cutlery and serviettes

We had ....

Sampler for Two, RM20.90
It had beef meatballs, crispy breaded fish and prawns, and baked mussels ...
I liked the breaded and deep-fried seafood which were crispy and tasty, especially when dipped in the tartare sauce. The mussels were alright, but all of us thought the meatballs were a tad too salty.


Curry Chicken Bowl, RM13.90
A generous helping of spiced up thick creamy chicken curry in toasted bread bowl ...
Well, the curry lived up to its description, for it was really thick not only with cream, but with curry spices. Though thick, the flavours were rightly balanced. There were potato and tender chicken chunks in there ... and I quite enjoyed tearing up the bread to mop up the curry before devouring it.

Linguine Marinara, RM16.90
It's got fish slices, prawns and mussels. That was good. But I think the flavour of this tomato-based pasta could be improved. It basically tasted very prominently of tomatoes .... and that was about it.

Golden treasure, RM11.90
Fragrant fried rice, smothered with white sauce, sprinkled with cheese and baked with golden fried fish on top. I liked this dish ... it was moist because of the rich and creamy white sauce ... and it had a faint buttery taste. The fish was rather surprisingly crispy, and the play of texture with the soft rice was rather interesting. 

Honey mudslide, RM9.90
This was coffee and chocolate ice-cream with chocolate sauce and chocolate shavings ...
The ice-cream tower almost collapsed when the waiter put it on our table. Lols .... this was basically just ice-cream. So ... how can ice-cream go wrong? 

So ... after such a long hiatus ... this was the first time I went back to Citrus for a meal. I'd say that there were some hits and misses, but at least ... I think the food improved. That's nice to know. And I know I'd be back. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, frankly I really enjoy reading all of your posts. This one is one of my favorite as well, I mean I like reading when you post positive review, but good also when you bitching on Banana, LOL.

    Looking forward for more of your great review.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...