Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fraud

Credit card frauds are rampant. This is my second experience, but with different cards and different banks.


It all started when I was alerted of a possible fraud made on my card. The alert came in a form of a transaction verification notice, which the bank mailed a week earlier via Pos Ekspress.

I was busy and did not attend to the notice till the next morning. I checked online and noticed an outstanding balance of RM2202.28 posted. No transaction history was recorded.

The next step would be to call the service centre. I was glad that the officer was pleasant and very helpful.
I was informed that there was an internet transaction with a US-based merchant. It was also explained to me that the bank had failed to verify this transaction with me by phone because my contact number. Upon checking with me, it was discovered that my phone number was wrongly recorded in the system.

Well, this particular credit card  was a spare for me, It had NEVER been used since activation. I had NO KNOWLEDGE of the transaction, and  I had NEVER authorised it.

I was advised to dispute the matter with the bank, which I did promptly.

Investigation is still pending ....

2 comments:

  1. You never use the card since activation. And your phone number was wrongly recorded in the system. Now, is that deliberate? Looks like an internal job to me. If I were you I would cancel all the cards issued by that bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah ... I also think that it's an inside job. It made no sense that my phone number is wrong. But anyway, I am not worried as I am NOT GOING TO PAY for it.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...