Friday, March 22, 2013

Why Did I Even Bother?

I am very upset today.

I spent a good part of the morning making calls to parents, inviting them to come to the Meet-The-Parents session on Saturday morning. Most of the parents whom I talked to, had no idea that such an event was being organised.

It only meant that their children had kept them in the dark. The school had sent an official letter to the parents through their children, coupled with a feedback form. All but eight forms came back negative. It was really pathetic.

I mean, I understood why. Which child would want his or her parents to talk to the teacher about how their academic performance, especially when he or she wasn't doing so well. Indeed, this batch of students have NOT performed. Never mind that they did not perform, they had really BAD attitude. They were the thorns in my flesh, pricking me till I bled to death!

Anyway, now that they knew about the event, most parents would try to make it to the school - some for the very first time - to talk to the teachers. Which parent does not want his or her child to realise his or her potential? Which parent does not want to see his or her child to score good results?  Which parent does not want to help his or her child to excel?

There was this parent who was standing in front of me. She was there to fetch her child home ... and I invited her to come for the event.

"See first," she said.

"They are all very busy; they need to be at the shop," the child said.

"It's not going to take much of your time," I insisted.

"I'll see first," said the mother, brushing me off.  

"Don't you want to talk to the teacher?" I asked.

"I tell them everything," replied the daughter. "I even tell them that I sleep in class."

"Sleep in class?" the mother said, dismayed.

"The students need to do better for the exam ... why don't you just come and talk to the teacher," I suggested.

"Maybe ask the father to come," she replied. She avoided eye contact with me.  

"Don't you want to know how your daughter is doing in class?" I refused to give up. 

She mumbled something and then left, her daughter trailing after her. 

If this mother was indifferent to how her daughter was doing in school, WHY DID I EVEN BOTHER TO CARE ABOUT IT? URGGGH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...