Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Earrings

I was sitting in a meeting .... listening to the P. Unconsciously, I brought my fingers to my ear lobes and this was followed by a shriek. Oh no! One side of my earring was missing! And I had not realised it. Till that moment, that is. Immediately, my eyes searched the chair I was sitting on .... the floor .... but it was not there. Try the car, my colleague said. And I went to my car but could not find anything either.

I jogged my memory to trace back what I had done the previous day so that I might be able to locate it ... When I got back home, I searched my bed ... my pillows ... the floor back in the house and in my room .... nothing. I searched the floors in the bathroom .... the bath drain ... the sink ... and all yielded nothing.

Darn .... I'd been wearing that same pair of tiny thin white gold hoop earrings ... for close to four years now. They were real fine, only 0.9 cm in diametre and less than 0.2 cm in thickness. Though not very valuable, I was annoyed. It was not so much the money, I was annoyed that it rendered the other side useless.

Besides this pair, I had another pair of white gold studs ... which I did not really like wearing, so there was a possibility that I had to go earring shopping over the weekend.

Somehow, the doggedness in me refused to give up yet .... and I continued my search around the house, only to finally findit atop the bathroom cabinet. Somebody must have found it in the bathroom and had put it there. Amazing!

Lost .... then found ;)) 

I asked my friend, and she said she had found it on the bathroom floor. She actually stepped on it ... and realised that I might have dropped it! Yippie! Meaning that I must have had dropped it that morning while in the shower! 

But then, that weekend ... I was at the mall .... and I saw the magic word in front of the jeweller's. SALE. There was no need to buy any earring now. Nonetheless, I sauntered into the shop to browse at the sparkling bling on display. I looked at the white gold earrings ... and just for fun, I tried a pair or two. There wasn't much variety for small hoop earrings ... the designs were more or less the same. I did not like big hoops, as I thought they made me look old. They had to be small and suitable for daily wear.

Then, I found a pair which I liked. Small, and in the shape of a teardrop on the lobes and glittered in the light. I made up my mind immediately. I wanted that pair of earrings.

With that successful sale, the lady coaxed me to buy white gold rings .... some were on 70% discount. Very worth it, she told me. I spent some time choosing rings .... but did not take to any of them. So worth it or not, I was not buying.

Without thinking, I crossed over to the side of the shop where gold jewellery was on display. I looked at the earrings in the glass case too .... and saw a pair of gold and white gold hoop earrings. Instinctively, I knew it would look good on me. I put them on and immediately fell in love. They were just the right size! And the shone and sparkled on my lobes. Very pretty.


So I had to buy them .... and for both pairs, I paid RM440.00. Sigh. Initially, I thought I had to buy a pair to replace the one I lost. Then, there was no need to buy anymore when I managed to find it. But then I ended up buying two pairs. I guess girls are invariably attracted to pretty things! ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...