Friday, July 26, 2013

From The Bazaar 1

It's the time of the year again, when our Muslim friends abstain from food from sunrise to sunset. And together with the month of Ramadhan, food bazaars are set up at many parts of town, with traditional favourites, and colourful delicacies sold. These food bazaars are frequented by people across all races ... and I loved to go there once in a while.

I went to the one at Morjaya. I was early at about 2.30 p.m. because I did not like to be in the crowd. And in the early afternoon, I could walk freely without being squished amongst the sea of people. The only disadvantage would be that some stalls were not set up yet.

I walked up and down the aisles .... but I did not see anything interesting enough to buy. Perhaps I was too early in the afternoon and the goodies weren't there yet!!

At the most elaborate stall there, I decided to buy a chicken thigh.

"RM5 satu," I was told by the lady vendor. RM5 each.

"Ayam masak apa ni?" I asked. How is this cooked?

"Masak merah. Nak?" Chicken in sweet and spicy sauce. Do you want one?

I nodded and she proceeded to pack up the chicken thigh. She poured more gravy into the plastic bag.

Deep-fried chicken thigh in blood-red shimmery sweet and spicy sauce

I walked some more ..... and decided to buy a nasi lemak. I suppose I was attracted to the fresh green banana leaf wrapping of the nasi lemak, so I decided to buy one pack. RM3.00 each.

Nasi lemak in banana leaf 

I was also interested in a briyani stall at the bazaar .... but that would have to wait another day. I could not possibly stomach so much in one day!!

Back home ..... I unwrapped the nasi lemak

Coconut-milk flavoured rice .... topped with spicy sweet sambal, egg omelette, a slice of cucumber and fried chicken

Hmn .... the food wasn't exceptionally nice. The gravy for the masak merah tasted of chillies, and that was about it. Meanwhile the nasi lemak was mere ordinary. I think more people buy at the bazaar for convenience more than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...