Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Married Bread

I was lazing in bed on a wet Sunday morning. Cold, rainy, and I snuggled deep into my blanket while my sleepy brain scanned over where I could eat breakfast. Hmn ..... I felt like eating Married Bread and coffee.

Lols. Married Bread is Roti Kahwin .... a coffee shop term for butter and kaya toast. Why "married", one may ask? Hmn .... probably cause it consists of 2 ingredients being used together to spread over the toast .... or 2 ingredients that help the toast to stick together. Just like a married couple having to stick together through thick and thin. Ideally, I suppose.

So .... one of the places that I know of that sells charcoal toasted kaya toast is New Shanghai Cafe. At the front of the shop, the staff spreads Golden Churn butter, followed by pandan kaya or screwpine-flavoured coconut jam on a piece of white bread. Then she tops it with another piece of bread before toasting it on a charcoal grill.

Kopi with 2 sets of Married Bread / Roti Kahwin, RM1.50 per set 

The pretty green-coloured pandan kaya on the lightly browned toast ....  
The freshly toasted bread was crispy and light, with a faint hint of smoke. The butter was rich, while the pandan kaya was fragrant and not too sweet. Great to eat, but I would prefer the pandan kaya to be a tad sweeter and the butter to be salted. That to me, would make an even yummier toast. 

The perfect food to eat with the toasts would be soft boiled eggs. 

 Two soft boiled eggs 
It's not that easy to get soft-boiled eggs, cooked the way I liked it. But that morning, I thought the eggs were cooked in the perfect consistency - soft and custard-like and not too watery. I added dash of black soy sauce and pepper .... and yums .... loved them to bits!  

I also ordered a Prawn Wanton soup and a Dumpling soup ....

 Prawn Wanton Soup, RM3.50

A dumpling ... 
Hmn .... the dumplings were smaller and flatter now compared to before. But they were still springy and yum.

Well, my friends and I used to frequent this place in the past .... but somehow, we stopped. I'd not been here for years! So it kind of felt like homecoming. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...