Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Okra Stirfry

Seriously, I have never cooked okra before. There are plenty of vegetables around, and okra is definitely not one that I would prefer to buy to cook. I don't mind eating okra, but am not particularly fond of it anyway.

So the other day, I saw my friend cooking okra ... and I was just wondering why I myself had never gotten around buying this vegetable for consumption. And my friend went on to share with me the wonderful properties of the vegetable. To her, okra is a rich source of fibre that does wonders for the gastrointestinal health. Its fibres and mucous cleans out the gastrointestinal system, thereby increasing its level of efficiency. It was just what I needed, as for the past few weeks .... I'd been feeling a bit weird in the stomach.

At the grocery store nearby, I happened to see some very fresh okra packed in a bag. Only RM1.30 for the small bag that I picked. Back home, I washed and cut them into thick slanted slices, ands stir-fried them with just chopped garlic and chopped dried prawns. A dash of salt to enhance the flavour, and I was ready to have it with my white rice.

Okra Stirfry

The okra was really fresh. They were soft but not mushy. I loved its distinctive flavour. I finished the entire lot of vegetable, and found it to be very filling. It was also not difficult to cook. So it looks like I'd be buying and cooking okra more frequently in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you enjoyed them. I like okra stir fried if they are fresh. I've tried adding to curries but when they are stewed I find they become a gooey mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Philip, I love okra in curries!!! Especially fish or vegetable curries. I find that thick and heavy curry sauces really flavour the okra well. Now, why not try blanching the okra whole in a separate pot of water .... then serve with the curry right before eating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I might try that - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...