Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Assorted Sushi

I came here 3 times before I managed to buy anything. Twice I was too early at 11.00 a.m. I did not go in the first time. The second time, I went into the shop. It was partially opened .... but there wasn't much to buy. There was only onagiri and wakame and idako, and salmon head. Sushi would only be available at 12.30 p.m., I was told.

Today, I went again at 4.00 p.m. .... and there was still not much left .... only onagiri and some salmon maki and salmon head again. The assorted sushi was still being assembled ... and I waited a while for a complete box to buy.

Assorted sushi, RM18.50

Ok .... now my opinion on the sushi. The presentation was great. Very pleasing to the eye. The thing about Japanese food is that it's supposed to be aesthetic, as well as yum.

Next, the rice tasted nice - sweet and vinegary. I knew it was flavoured as it should have been. The rice was soft, yet firm and nicely shaped into a ball, probably the size of a golf ball. My complaint? Too much rice, since I was not a rice person. But do bear in mind that it's purely personal.

There was an assortment of ingredients decorating the rice .... surimi, aburaage, grilled chicken, wakame, tamago .... and so on. But too little ingredients for a ball so big. The idako or seasoned baby octopus, I think ... was quartered resulting in a teeny piece atop.

So depending on how you eat it, you could end up eating the rice without any topping. Lol, especially when I bit it top down, I'd eat half with topping and the other half just plain rice. So it could be the shape that was at fault. Most nigiri sushi are elongated. These ones were round.

I suppose for the price that I was paying, the vendor could not afford to provide sashimi grade tuna or salmon or ebi ..... sigh .... so since I did not like almost everything that decorated the rice .... I would not go for this pack in the future.

Needless to say, after reading about other people's positive reviews of this place online, I must say that I was utterly disappointed with the whole experience.

4 comments:

  1. went there twice & bought nothing..i think the sushi balls have too much rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was what i thought. i have yet gone back to try the other items. maybe next time, though. :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...