Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 2 : Breakfast In Changsha

Hunan literally means "south of the lake". Indeed at the northern part of this province is a large lake, specifically Lake Dongting. Hunan is known as "Xiang" in short by the locals, because the Xiang River runs through this province. Changsha is its capital city.

View from my window

I woke up quite early that morning. I did not sleep for many hours, but I supposed I slept quite well. I felt refreshed that morning. After my ablutions, I went downstairs for breakfast. I was staying at Xiangyun Shanshui Hotel <翔云山水> at Changsha and breakfast was located on the second floor of the hotel.

Hmn .... the interiors of the dining room looked really dingy. Perhaps they intended to create a rustic feel and not quite achieving it. But if you asked me, I'd say that it badly needed a facelift.

Anyway, I counted only a few round tables for guests to sit down to eat their breakfast. Food was lined up on tables along the side of the restaurant, served buffet style. Food labels were in Chinese .... and that did not help people who have limited literacy in the language. Like me. :P

Because of the surroundings, breakfast did not look that appetising. There was a station serving soup and porridge, cold salads, fried rice and noodles, stir-fry vegetables, as well as dry items like breads and biscuits. There was a counter serving noodle soup as well.

What I ate ....

  1. A hard-boiled egg; 
  2. youtiao which was soft and soggy and tasteless;
  3. A spoonful of Egg fried rice. The rice was light and fluffy, quite fragrant and tasty. 
  4. The cherry tomatoes were really fresh and sweet.
  5. I did not eat that chunk of cucumber though I took it. :P 

  1.  A scoop of plain rice porridge with century egg. I was more interested in the century egg than the porridge.
  1. A steamed bun or bao - it was filled with coarse sugar .... I'd never had bao like that ... I nibbled a bit of it and then left the rest uneaten
  2. A plain steamed bun or mantou, which I also nibbled and then abandoned
  3. More cherry tomatoes - yums 
  4. A teeny bit of stir-fried noodles, which I found to taste alright as well. 
Done with breakfast .... and off to visit the first attraction of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...