Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fresh Buns

Opposite Yong Kwang Cafe at Kenyalang, there is a shop called Sweet Honey. On a table outside the shop displays a few trays of freshly made buns. They are small, and 3 pieces sell for RM1.00. That's really, really cheap.

I was there about 3.00 p.m. ....and the red bean buns were already sold out. Only a few pieces of butter buns were left. There were a whole tray of coconut buns, though. I bought RM1.00 worth of each.

RM2.00 for 6 buns, 
The elongated ones are butter, while the ones dotted green to indicate the coconut filling

According to hearsay, the baker was a pastry chef at Hilton .... ok .... there's no way for me to verify this .... so .... just take it with a bit of salt.

Anyway .... back to the buns ....

The insides ... 

Well, the texture of the buns were really good. You can see that buns were really airy inside ... so they were really soft and fluffy, and yet chewy. It meant that the buns had substance, and I was not merely eating cotton wool. :P

My parents did not like the filling .... but I liked the fact that they were not sweet. Less sugar, more healthy, less guilt. :P

Because they were freshly baked, the buns were totally enjoyable for afternoon tea! Yums.

2 comments:

  1. These buns look pretty familiar to me. I cannot pinpoint exactly where I've seen these buns before. Two very close sources that comes to my memory currently is either Bee Teng, a coffee shop cum bakery in Sekama or the place at 4 1/1 mile near The Banquet that sells very cheap buns which you might have blogged before. The latter is also a coffeeshop-like bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes .... I've heard of the Sekama shop and I've posted about the 4 1/2 mile shop. These ones are similar and they are not bad. Do try them.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...