Friday, August 2, 2013

Black Fungus Salad

My friend came back after 10 p.m. .... and then we decided to experiment. We wanted to make black fungus salad. We had pre-soaked some black fungus before we went out. So when we came back, we shredded it finely and then blanched it in hot water.

Then we drained and seasoned it ..... with sesame oil, organic lime juice and salt. We then placed it in a container and chilled it. 

Black fungus salad

The next day ..... 

"Come .... try," I invited another friend, C***. 

"What's this?"

"Our experiment," I said.

"Hah??? I'm not a guinea pig," she laughed.

"It's yummy," I tried to convince her ... 

She hesitated, but on second thought, grabbed a fork and scooped up some black fungus .... and yeah .... she liked it and helped herself to more. Lol. She even asked us to make more next time. 

Well, this was the recipe that my former colleague used to dress her kelp salad. Since we did not have kelp at home, we decided to substitute kelp with black fungus. Black fungus had similar texture to kelp ... and so the dish was a success. We enjoyed the crunchy fungus coated with the fragrant sesame oil and flavoured with the tangy lemon juice. Delicious, and healthy. :)) 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good idea and worth a try. I can see the value of black fungus because texture is an important consideration in Chinese cooking. However, when I have used black fungus I find it difficult to make them flavorsome. Or maybe I am not using them as they should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmn ... I don't think they have much taste ... or probably they have a woody, earthy taste. So it's important to flavour it with lots of sauces. A combination of ginger, oyster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, and sugar always works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...