Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Kuching Festival Fair 2013 Part 2

We parked at the City South Council ....

The Council .... 

We were early .... so we lingered about ...

4 cats at play ..... these cat statuettes were in front of the Council building. Kuching City is littered with these cat statuettes .... these ones .... hmn ...  in my opinion.... needed a facelift .... or rather ...a fur-lift. Maybe a new coat of paint would do them wonders! 

Then we made our way to the Food Fair nearby. In this post, I would be focusing on the food. There were over 200 booths selling both local and international delights. Some of the vendors are popular eateries or restaurants in and around Kuching.

There were so much food! From Chicken rice to Japanese mochi to Oyster omelette to Dim sum to Chee Cheung Fun to Satay to Kolo Mee .... endless list!

Here are some pictures of the food ....

Rico's burgers, pizza, pocket pizza, chicken wings

Trays containing skewers of shao mai ... or sio bee as they are known in Kuching

Naked fish
These fishes were grilled over charcoal .... the skewers rotated consistently till the fish cooked. I presume they were "naked" because they were devoid of msg. 

There's popsicle inside this contraption!! Not sure how they do it ... but it is this thing that churns out the posicles. 

Chee Cheung Fun or rice rolls with char siew, prawn or a mixture of both. This rice roll auntie usually sells lui cha ... but she's taking a break now to sell these instead! 

Coffin bread ... a Taiwanese specialty

This was the stall with the longest queue. Much as I would like to try the product, I could not bring myself to queue. I hated waiting.

Fried Fresh Milk, see the queue .... tsk tsk tsk .... scary  ...

I stood in front to see what the fuss was about .... and chatted with an uncle who was waiting for his order. He had waited for half an hour, he said. And when he got his Fried Fresh Milk in a bag, he kindly let us snap a picture of it. Aunt took a shot but I did not. I peeked into the bag ... and saw golden squares resembling tofu cubes .... It's essentially frozen milk ... cut into cubes, battered and deep-fried. I suppose the novelty of the item itself was an attraction. 

At the Pandan Thai Delights stall ... I was drawn by this large wooden mortar bowl and its pestle. I thought it looked so exotic.

A traditional wooden mortar bowl

The stall sold Thai dishes, one of them being this famous dessert. 

Mango Sticky Rice

The crowd started pouring in from 5.30 p.m. onwards .... and queues started to form in front of popular stalls. The plastic tables and chairs were slowly filled up by the hungry diners. It was fun, soaking in the festive like atmosphere .... and feasting my eyes on the food not commonly seen .... and of course .... overloading my nose with the delicious smells of food! Yums. Next post, what I ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...