Friday, August 16, 2013

John's Pie

John's Pie has an outlet at Wisma Phoenix. Where is Wisma Phoenix? I guess Kuchingites know it as the old-Upwell-Supermarket-at-Jalan-Song-Thian-Cheok. I do think that this is a very tourist-y area.The outlet there is so tiny .... there are only a few tables in there to sit.

Well, today, I wanted to try the Signature Beef Pie, but it was unavailable. So I had to settle for ... 

Lamb Pie, RM7.50

 See the tender pieces of lamb inside ... yums .... 

Now let's see, hmn .... the pastry was yum, light and rather flaky, but not as buttery as I would like it to be. What I liked was the filling, which was moist and flavourful. The meat was tender and flavoured wonderfully with herbs and spices. The taste of the lamb was not gamey too. 

I also had a Smoky Beef Pie.

Smoky Beef Pie, RM5.50

A look inside reveals .... Shiitake mushrooms, onions .... and chunks of beef 

The smoky beef pie too .... was flavoured with herbs and spices, and had a more prominent taste of black pepper. The filling too was not as moist as the lamb pie. It was not bad as well.

Of the two, I obviously preferred the Lamb Pie with the gooey filling ... but my Dad preferred the Smoky Beef filling which was drier. Here at John's Pie, quality is not compromised, and I think it reflects in the product.

I would love to try the other items ... like the tarts and quiches. Next time, then!

2 comments:

  1. Another outlet at Jalan Song, near Top Ten coffee shop. I especially love their chicken pie & tarts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...