Friday, March 6, 2015

Happy Retirement Mr. C

The thing about my current school is that there are many veteran teachers around. Some of them have been in the school since the 70's .... and a large number of them the 80's! They're a really fun group of people to talk to .... because they can tell you so many stories about the school and the students! They also possess great sense of humour, never failing to crack some jokes, bringing lots of cheer into the staff room.

One of their favourite daily topics is their retirement. Lol.  It is not uncommon to hear of them counting down to the D-day. And so everyone knows that Mr. R has only a few more months to go. After Mr. R goes, Ms. M will follow suit early next year ... and then Mr. P ... Mr. L and Mr. W both have got 3 years to go .... while Mr. F has another 5 years. Lol. They get very happy and excited talking about the day they exit the system ..... and I can only listen with envy. For I've got donkeys of years to go .... before I can even think about retiring.

This week, on his 60th birthday, Mr. C retired. His last day was Wednesday. But today, a group of us staff decided to give him a treat. We went to the Hornbill Restaurant at The Sarawak Club for lunch! This was what we had ....

Dish 1 : Hot and cold combination sailed to the table in a boat! Loved the presentation! Erm .... every time I went out with my colleagues, the food came in boats? Lol .... Here and Here ... 


Mussels in a tomato-based sauce, and Callifornia rolls 

My platter which made up of a mussel, a chicken meatball, jellyfish salad, a deep-fried roll of sorts, and a California roll .... 

I actually did not find any particular item which really stand out in taste in the boat .... hmn ..... if I had to pick a favourite item, hmn .... it would have to be the mussel then. 

Dish 2 : Hot and sour soup
Palatable, not too spicy, good consistency

Dish 3 : Fish cooked in 3 different ways .... 
There's the deep-fried heads and tails, and then the fillet wrapped with mushroom and carrot strips, and more fillet stir-fried with vegetables like peas, celery, mushrooms and carrot. The white fillet felt  luscious to the palate, but tastewise, was quite bland. 

Dish 4 : Mango Duck
Lettuce square, topped with shredded roasted duck meat salad, mango and finally a crispy square of duck skin .... tasted good! 

Dish 5 : Lamb shoulder
Tender lamb pieces .... quite big pieces too, in a delicate herbal sauce ..... 

Dish 6 : Buttered prawns ....
I loved these succulent prawns, coated with the aromatic butter sauce ... 

Dish 7 : Mixed vegetables platter
I loved the lotus root ..... and that's about what I had from this platter .... 

Dish 8 : Fruit platter 
Beautiful colours! I did not eat the dragon fruit, but my friends said they weren't sweet; the mangoes were real sour .... but we loved the sweet pomelos! 

The food was pre-ordered by my colleague, I hadn't seen the menu so I didn't know exactly what they were called ..... so sorry about that. :P

Happy retirement, Mr. C ..... We'll miss you! Do drop by and visit the rest of us once in a while. ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...