Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Best Banana Fritters

During tea break the other day, my colleagues told me that the best banana fritters in Miri were from a stall at Kampung Wireless, Miri. The thing that amused me was that they all agreed with it unanimously! Lols.

Well, the Kampung Wireless settlement is located along Jalan Permaisuri, Miri.  I found the name very interesting. Apparently, this traditional Malay settlement was christened Kampung Wireless because of a telecommunications tower which was erected right in the middle of the village in the 1950's.

That afternoon, I had the privilege of trying these banana fritters as my colleagues bought them ...

 Banana fritters 
Look at the unique batter coating. My colleague called it "cucur pisang bulu" because of the puffed up pastry.

Cross section of a fritter
That day, the banana was not very sweet as it was not so ripe yet. Also, the banana was cut lengthwise before being deep-fried with batter. Well, as for the coating, I'd say that I liked it. It was light and crisp and not greasy. Hmn ... imagine a ripe juicy and whole piece of sweet-tasting banana coated with the batter .... I suppose that would result in THE BEST banana fritters ever. 

The stall also sold other goodies ... and the other day, my colleagues also bought cempedak fritters. 

Cempedak fritters
I liked the cempedak fritters too, except that they were greasier than the banana fritters. 

Well, well .... it was great fun to try those fritters .... I have no idea where the stall is located. Next time, I'd explore and go buy them on my own. As for whether they were the best in town, I suppose it's disputable and purely personal.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...