Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Co-teaching

What a busy day today. Today, I have the heaviest teaching load - 6 periods altogether. What was different today was that I was co-teaching 2 lessons with my principal.

I prepared the lesson plan and all the materials. Then he came into the class with me and we taught the lesson together. I have never done co-teaching before, and this is the first time.

Well, the students did not expect to see the principal in the classroom today. Usually, the principal is in the classroom because he is observing a teacher. But today, they were pleasantly surprised when the principal was there to co-teach with me. The look on their faces!!! Lol!!!!

Anyway, we conducted a lesson in writing. Because they were both 40-minutes lessons, we decided to pair up students and get them to write paragraphs, instead of writing the whole essay. The students were to display their paragraphs at the end of the lesson.

How do I find it? Well, it is certainly different from teaching alone. There's someone there, taking charge of a portion of the lesson. There's another person, guiding the students through. There's another person distributing worksheets, and so on.

And because the principal was in the class, the students were more subdued than usual. The rowdiest class ever was not rowdy at all today. The most stubborn students actually did their work today. And because they were to display their writings, there was an eagerness to get their writings correct. All the students took the initiative to seek help from the teacher.

Well, for myself, I try not to feel intimidated because the P is there. It is an honour for me, if he wants to co-teach with me. In the classroom, he is just another teacher, and not the boss.

It is quite interesting, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...