Friday, September 25, 2009

MJC Tamu & Night Market

It's my first time to the MJC Tamu cum night market near Batu Kawa here in Kuching. My parents, and Fourth Aunt and I went today at about 3.30 p.m., and there was already a huge crowd.

There were many things sold - from jungle produce to fresh seafood to imported fruits and vegetables to a variety of local cakes t0 pretty trinkets.

A few items caught my eye this evening. First and foremost were the wriggly fat sago worms. It sold for RM40.00 per kg. 1 worm cost RM0.30.

Sago worms

I walked past this particular stall and stood there for a while, trying to figure out why the pieces of tree bark moved. It was only upon closer inspection that I realised that they were plump little worms that wriggled their way around the plastic basin.

The vendor lady says that the grubs taste superb either deep-fried or barbecued. Friends of mine have told me they have a rich buttery taste. But hmn ... I'm not ready to try them. I'd give it a miss for now.

Fourth Aunt was quite taken in by these lovely pots of miniature cacti.

Mini cacti

They sold for RM5.00 - RM8.00. Aunt said she would have bought if she knew how to take care of them.

It's mooncake season, so there were a few stalls selling mooncakes. In Kuching, there is a confectionery at the Matang area which produces delicious Feng Cui Ping.

Matang Mooncake

Feng Cui Ping

We bumped into Third Aunt at the market. It's no surprise since Third Aunt lives near MJC and frequents the market weekly. Third Aunt recommends us to try the roasted pig.

Part of a pig head on display at the stall. It seemed a bit barbaric.

A cut of roasted pig

Customers are free to choose the cuts of meat that they like. Fourth Aunt chose a cut of lean meat. The vendor chopped up the meat for her, and then proceeded to weigh them. The roasted pig sells for RM40.00 per kg too.

At the entrance of the night market, I saw this pretty cotton candy pole. There's a flavour for each colour. Purple is peppermint, I think.

Cotton Candy Tower

Well, it was quite fun to browse at the tamu / night market, so I don't mind dropping by the next time I'm in Kuching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...