Friday, September 18, 2009

Breakfast @ Shanghai Cafe

Craving for sourish fish slices in beehoon soup, my friend and I headed to Shanghai Cafe behind M Square here in Miri, for breakfast the other day.

There were lots of diners, and we had to wait a while to get a table.

My friend ordered a kolo mee and a bowl of soup - the shop had a choice of either wanton soup, or dumpling soup. So my friend asked for a mix of wantons and dumplings in her soup.

Kolo Mee

Dumplings is 水饺. I think there is some shredded black fungus in the filling, besides the usual meat and prawn paste. The dumplings are wrapped in a flat shape. Wantons are of course 云吞. Black fungus is not used, and the shape is rather rounded. But when they are cooked, they looked the SAME!!! Lol.

Wanton

Dumpling

Wantons and Dumplings in soup

My friend did not comment about her food, so I suppose she did not find them outstanding.

I ordered my fish slices beehoon soup. I did not like my fish slices beehoon soup that much either. Despite the use of salted vegetables in the soup, I found it a bit "fishy" or very . It could be my super-sensitive taste buds because I'm rather afraid of stinky fish. Or it could be that it was too early in the morning to have fish soup.

The dish had tomato wedges and tofu, beside the fish slices and salted vegetables

We also ordered a roti kahwin - it's just white bread slapped with butter and kaya and then toasted over charcoal. This item is apparently a hit at the shop, as the vendor stocked up loaves and loaves and loaves of bread at the counter.

Roti Kahwin

We both liked the roti kahwin, as they were quite generous with the butter and kaya. At RM1.30 per set, I thought it was rather pricey.

No comment for the noodles. Thumbs up for the roti kahwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...