Sunday, September 6, 2009

Loh Mee & Kolo Mee @ Good Taste Bak Kut Teh

My friend and I went to Good Taste Bak Kut Teh at Centrepoint here in Miri for breakfast. Good Taste Bak Kut Teh serves breakfast dishes from 7.30 a.m. t0 about 11.00 a.m. Thereafter, noodles are longer served, and the shop concentrates on bak kut teh and the works.

This morning I wanted to eat something really hot to warm my stomach, and so, I ordered the loh mee or the braised noodles.

Loh Mee

The version here is unlike the dark soy sauce version available over in West Malaysia.

At this shop, the thick noodles are baised in a thick egg-y gravy. Ingredients used include crispy lard bits, fresh pork slices, prawns, and green vegetables. This morning, stalks of bok choy are used.

Our noodles came piping hot. But, both my friend and I like our noodles gravy to be sour. So we asked for malt vinegar. Somehow, the vinegar that came wasn't really that sour. Even after we added a small saucer full, it was still not sour enough for our liking. Next time, we vowed to bring our own vinegar.

Kolo Mee

We ordered kolo mee too. It was quite a big bowl noodles, topped with minced pork, bok choy, but there was no char siew. Instead, there were char siew-like sliced of pork cooked in soy sauce gravy. Hence, the taste of kolo mee just wasn't there. Both my friend and I did not like the kolo mee at all.

Plus, I thought the old man who took the orders was quite rude, seeming like he was rushing us to place our orders ;(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...