Saturday, December 1, 2012

Madam Wee Food Cafe @ Miri

Sarawak Laksa Special

Looking tempting, right?

My friend had not eaten here before, so I brought her over for lunch. I, too, had not come here for ages.

It was about noon, and there was hardly any empty tables. We saw a group vacating and quickly secured a table outside. Madam Wee Food Cafe here in Miri is quite known for its Sarawak laksa and kolo mee.

Well, I would say that it was one of the better versions of laksa here in Miri, with its rich or lemak laksa gravy. The condiments were also correct, with blanced prawns, beansprouts, shredded chicken and egg omelette. Though I finished everything in the bowl, I personally felt that there was something missing in terms of flavour. That oomph was just not there.

Another look at it ...

My friend tried the kolo mee. She asked the workers whether it was yum. Duh.  I thought it was a redundant question. Lols. Of course, they would claim it to be delicious. And well yeah, they convinced her by telling her that they used lard.

Kolo mee

My friend liked the texture of the springy homemade noodles ... but did not really like the taste of the kolo mee. It tasted weird, she told me. I suppose one needed to get accustomed to its unique flavour to fully enjoy the kolo mee. I, for one, was never impressed with the kolo mee here. For one thing, where was the char siew?

My friend and I also shared these shao mai, which we both found to be quite palatable. If they would be more Q or bouncy, then I suppose they would be even more yum.

Shao Mai

All that said, I would not mind eating here at Madam Wee Food Cafe once in a while, especially when the craving for laksa calls.

6 comments:

  1. Laksa is one of my favourite dishes. When you say 'Sarawak laksa', what distinguishes it? Is it the tamarind which makes it different from laksa in Singapore? I have heard people refer to 'Kuching laksa'. Is that the same do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Well, there are many types of laksa here in Malaysia.

      But first of all, I would say that Kuching Laksa and Sarawak Laksa are synonymous, both referring to the type of laksa sold in Sarawak.

      Singapore laksa is different because it has a curry base. In Malaysia, we refer to that as curry laksa.

      Sarawak laksa is distinct in its gravy and the condiments used. The gravy is cooked from a blend of shallots, garlic, candlenuts, chillies, galangal, lemongrass, spices and coconut milk. It looks thick like curry, yet smells and tastes uniquely different. Only rice vermicelli is used to accompany the gravy, together with shredded omelette, steamed chicken, prawns, blanched beansprouts and celery.

      Delete
  2. i dislike the taste of the kolo mee at madam wee's too! haha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. where is tis madam wee owh?? haha.. (bintulu-ren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a corner shop along the main road at Krokop 3 ;)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...