Monday, December 24, 2012

Otah

Muar, a city in the state of Johore, is famous for Otah. Well, I did not know that. Till now, of course.

Sil's family from Johore came over this weekend, and it was customary for them to bring over Otah and fresh seafood for her. And so much too they brought!

Muar Otah

Mom was not sure how to prepare the Otah for us to eat as she had never eaten it before. Ever! Well, I know that it is not widely available over in Kuching. So Sil's relatives advised her to steam them on high fire for about 10 minutes. They could be served with rice or bread. Otah omelette was also suggested to Mom. 

 Steamed Otah

This morning, Mom steamed 2 pieces for us. I had some with bread and mayo, and I liked it a lot. 

Otah is essentially a spicy fish paste. This one was soft and yet firm. White fish flakes were visible, giving the Otah a better texture. Taste wise, this Otah had a prominent curry flavour. Mom found the Otah to be a bit spicy for her, but it was alright for me. For me, the more fiery, the better! ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...