Saturday, December 15, 2012

Nyonya Kuih @ Nyonya Colours

At about 9.30 p.m., as shoppers were going home after a busy and VERY CROWDED time shopping at Midvalley City, this was the time that many food items were on discount ... 30% sushi .... 40% dons ... and we walked past Nyonya Colours at The Gardens .... and the local cakes were on 50% discount! Woweee .... I'd been surveying the local cakes at Nyonya Colours. They were always very colourful, delectable and tempting. But I had always hesitated to buy them cause there were rather pricey. A small morsel which I could easily pop into my mouth on one single occasion would cost me RM1.00.

So now that they were on discount, I'd buy them at a jiffy! The cakes were packed into clear plastic box packages. Some packages had 6 pieces of colourful cakes while others contained 7. And the minimum purchase was 2 boxes.

Tantalising Nyonya cakes

I'd start with the tri-coloured sweet potato cake on top. Pretty, isn't it? The texture of the cake was very fine, very springy and chewy and tasted of both sweet potatoes and coconut milk. Pretty much tasted like bubur chacha in a cake!

The yellow-coloured cake which is coated with freshly grated coconut milk is a steamed tapioca cake, which had a rich tapioca flavour. It was also rather springy.

The red layered cake is called lapis beras while the green layered cake is called lapis pandan. They were slightly softer than the other 2 cakes, and both redolent with the taste of coconut milk. The green cake was fragrant with the flavour of screwpine leaves.

All the cakes are RM0.90 per piece, except for lapis pandan which is priced at RM1.00 per piece at normal price. Altogether, we bought 13 pieces of cakes, and saved ourselves RM6.05 after discount. Worth it? I think so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...