Sunday, December 2, 2012

Teatime Treats

The other day, I wanted to eat shao bao, so I dropped by the New Sau Pau Cafe at Boulevard Commercial Centre and bought a few items ...

Teatime treats
Pastries and fritters, and coffee

I bought the shao bao, curry chicken puff, and 2 pieces of banana fritters. Of the four items, I enjoyed the char siew-filled shao bao with flaky pastry skin. They were yum, and I could tell that they were freshly baked. However, the curry puff was ordinary, filled mostly with curried potatoes. I could not tell if there was chicken in there. The shao bao cost RM1.80 while the curry puff was RM1.60 each. 

I enjoyed the banana fritters, however. 

Banana fritters, RM0.60 per piece

Pisang tanduk was used, and I had always liked this banana because of its soft texture, and its sweet yet tangy taste. The batter coating the banana was salty and crispy, and it was pleasant to enjoy the fritters with a cup of hot coffee. Oh by the way, wasn't the mug looking cute? It was a free gift from Colgate ... lols. 

Today, I met up with my friend AT for tea at the Sau Pau Bakery at Jalan Permaisuri. He had lots of stories to tell me as I had not seen him for 2 months.  It was a cool and breezy afternoon, and we sat outside the bakery to enjoy our stories and our tidbits. 

Yummy buns and kopi

We shared a shao bao, a baked butter bun, a steamed yam paste bun, and a char-siew steamed bun. And to eat with the buns, I ordered a kopi

Well, I liked the shao bao too ... the pastry was light, crispy and flaky, and the sweet and sticky char-siew filling was quite compact. It was the same filling for the char-siew steamed bun, in which the skin was smooth, soft with a milky fragrance. The yam paste in the pandan-flavoured steamed bun was not too sweet and yet tasted quite rich. The butter filling in the baked bun had a crunchy texture, and was sweet, rich and satisfying. I downed all that with a hot cup of kopi. Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...