Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Agony

I went with my aunts to support my uncle, who's a committee member of the Kuching Teochew Association. Well, Fifth Aunt bought 2 tables for the 150th Anniversary Dinner Celebration, and got all of our relatives to go. My parents did not go because they had to attend a distant relative's wedding reception. I was tired after banding for most of the day, but since I had promised to go, I went anyway. The dinner was held Riverside Majestic.

Hmn .... I cannot really say that I connect to my Teochew roots .... because I hardly appreciated the Teochew Opera that was being performed on stage throughout the night. Not only me, however, even my Fifth Aunt found the constant clashing of the cymbals to be very annoying. Lol.

Well ... I'd say that it was an agony to be waiting the whole night .... actually .... waiting for it to end. It did not help that the service was quite poor, actually. I sat for at least 45 minutes without anyone serving me any drinks ....

I was looking at this for a long, long time while I wondered when dinner was going to commence ... 

And it finally did at 8.00 p.m. 

 The hot and cold dish combination 
My favourite item was the wakame ... 

Beancurd Soup with Crabmeat
Not particularly nice, but it did warm my tummy sufficiently 

 Ayam Masak Merah
To me, this course was weird to be amongst the selection of Chinese-style dishes .... The sauce tasted a bit sweet and reeked of spices .... a bit to strong in flavour for me, and did not quite complement the other dishes .... 

Pan-fried Prawns
Probably my favourite dish of the night .... aromatically flavoured with chopped garlic, chillies and cilantro

I went home after that ..... the dinner was draggy and long-winded, and not very Teochew in fact. So that's just really too bad. Nonetheless, I was glad to have supported my uncle at this very huge event :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...