Thursday, November 13, 2014

Swee Kang Ice Kacang

I've not eaten ice kacang at Swee Kang, at Jalan Haji Taha. I've only heard great things about it. It's supposed to be legendary. Sources say that they started their business at the Open Air Market years and years ago, and others say that they used to operate opposite the Fire Station. Hmn .... not sure which is true but it would definitely be safe to say that Swee Kang has been in the ice kacang business for many decades.

Bro and I went over to try it one afternoon after he picked me up from school. We merely ordered 2 ABCs. I found it really unique that the man assembling our desserts shouted out every order to the servers, who shuffled to the counter immediately and brought bowls of icy delights to the tables.

2 bowls of ABCs
The ABCs here were in shades of brown ..... implying that only palm sugar mixture were used, instead of the reddish grenadine syrup that some other vendors use

A closer look ...

Yummy and refreshing

I found the ice kacang here to be very sweet and very prominent with the flavour of palm sugar, yet it was rich and creamy at the same time. I loved the powdery red beans and also the springy cendol and jelly used. But if I were to come here next time, I'd ask for it to be less sweet. Quite enjoyable nonetheless.

At the shop here, there's plenty else to eat, like cucur udang or prawn fritters, rojak, laksa and others. We did not try the food this time around. Perhaps next time. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...