Monday, November 24, 2014

Triangular Vegetable Dumpling @ Ted Shin

We had driven to Siburan ... because we did not know where to go. We went to Eastern Mall, and then went looking for Ted Shin. The old town was quite busy with the Sunday morning crowd ... and the narrow roads along the town seemed to be jammed. Traffic was going at different directions at the same time, and I was rather baffled. I was glad that I was not driving, though .... AT was.

Ted Shin is a coffee shop here at 17th Mile Siburan, known for its triangular-shaped vegetable dumplings, filled with various fillings such as jicama, chives, tofu, bamboo shoots, salted vegetable. People said they were good. And I had not tried it before .... Today seemed a good day to try though. 

AT drove round and round the town .... and I was aghast that we could not find it, even though we were in such a small place. I had to google for its address at least twice. Of course, I was really happy when we finally found the coffee shop. 

The kueh seller auntie
On the wall is written in Chinese "triangle vegetable dumpling at RM0.50 per piece"

The friendly auntie saw us walking uncertainly along the corridor of the coffee shop ... and she asked if we were there for the first time. Indeed we were! She told us that the dumpling pastry was machine-made and had we were earlier, we could actually watch the entire process of making the dumpling.

On the table was 2 large trays filled with so many dumplings .... and that morning, they only had jicama, bamboo shoots, salted vegetables and tofu. I bought one of each ... 

 Famed triangular vegetable dumpling

 Check out the bamboo shoot filling

 Salted vegetable filling

 Tofu filling

Of the four I tried, I liked the bamboo shoots and the salted vegetable ones the most ..... the bamboo shoots were really tender, and did not have any briny taste at all. It made me wonder whether fresh bamboo shoots were used. 

Before we left, AT and I bought some back for our folks! A box for his mom, A box for my parents and another box for Second Aunt.

I was happy that the long drive was fruitful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...