Sunday, September 2, 2012

Luncheon Meat Sandwiches

When I was small, my Mom always makes for me luncheon meat and egg sandwiches. I loved them. Ma Ling was a popular brand in those days. They came in a round can. Mom always cut the luncheon meat into half-moon shapes and then pan-fried them. Then, she'd sandwich the the meat, egg omelette, cucumber and tomatoes in between 2 slices of bread. Sometimes, I'd have double decker sandwiches, when gluttony calls. ;p

However, there has been a lot of luncheon meat scare since that time. There were stories of luncheon meat being contaminated with insecticide and all that. There was no way of verifying whether all these were true. So, to take the easy way out, Mom eliminated luncheon meat from our diet. I had not eaten a luncheon meat sandwich for years!

Recently, I had a craving for my childhood sandwich. And so it spurred me to purchase a can of luncheon meat. While shopping around at the local supermarket, I decided to buy a can of Tulip  Pork luncheon meat, which was made in Denmark. Surely it was safer to consume than any Made-In-China brand of luncheon meat. I would assume that Europe has more stringent production and quality control. Well, hopefully.

Tulip, Made in Denmark

Anyway, I sliced the block of meat in medium thickness and yielded 9 slices. Next, I pan-fried them in a non-stick pan. I did coat the pan with just a teeny weeny bit of cooking oil but soon, oil began to ooze out of the sizzling slices of the meat. I liked them browned and slightly crisp at the edges.

Luncheon meat & egg omelette slices

So right after that, I served my luncheon meat, together with a slice of omelette, some crunchy cucumbers and sweet tangy tomatoes in between 2 slices of cheese bread ...


Yum .... it was time to savour my luncheon meat sandwich from those good old days when I was a child. All I needed now was a hot cup of coffee to go with my bread.

2 comments:

  1. I love the luncheon meat you bought. It's more flavourful than that of ma Ling.

    If you have time, can you visit my site and read my stories. All comments will be seen as constructive.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and less salty too.
    Sure, I'd love to visit your blog ;))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...