Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ais Krim Gula Apong

Where are we going? I asked as I got into the car.

You never give suggestions, D said.

Ok then, I want to go to the Open Air market.

Don't tell me you want to queue for the ice-cream? D asked.

Exactly, I said.

It was about 8.00 p.m. .... and we were going for an after-dinner drink. But an ice-cream would also do, actually.

* * *

There is this gula apong or palm sugar ice-cream sold at the Open Air Market, which has attracted lots of people. So much so that there will a long queue in front of the stall, waiting for their turn for a serving of ice-cream. So naturally, I was curious about it, and I also wanted to try it.

When D and I reached there, there was no queue .... Yayy! The flavour of the day was chocolate .... so I was slightly disappointed ... gula apong and chocolate did not seem to be an ideal combination in flavour to me. Anyway, since we had come all the way for it .... I ordered a small cup while D opted to have it served in a bun.

 Gula Apong Ice-cream, RM2.00

Well, it's essentially soft-serve ice-cream, drizzled with gula apong syrup. Though the ice-cream itself was not too sweet, I find the texture and taste to be inferior. The texture of the ice-cream was not that smooth, and sort of resembled the texture of sorbet. It did not taste creamy and milky, and the chocolate flavour was rather diluted. The gula apong syrup was not very sweet, but it did have that slight fragrance that was rather pleasant. I think that was the thing that appealed to most of the people. 

Chocolate soft-serve in a bun
D did not want the gula apong drizzle at all .... lols. 

Hmn ..... if anyone wants to eat ice-cream in Kuching, I will recommend Sunny Hill for the ultimate ice-cream experience. That's where the ice-cream is smooth and creamy and milky and yummy. :))

Read here for Sunny Hill Ice Cream.

First and last? D asked me about this pretty hyped up ice-cream at the market .....

Well, not necessarily ......................... but not worth queuing up for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...