Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dinner @ Eastwood Valley

Hmn, this year's divisional Teachers' Day celebration was held at Eastwood Valley Golf and Country Club. To accommodate us, there was no venue big enough at the Club and we had to settle for the Musical Corridor. There was no air-con and in the warm and humid weather, it could get quite uncomfortable.

Next, I found the programme to be long and draggy. It was supposed to start at 7.00 p.m., but it did not till much, much later. As usual. It was near 11.00 p.m. when it ended. I was totally bored. So to amuse myself, I took photographs of the food. ;p

We had ... 

Seasonal Fruit Platter
Fruits were served first. So while waiting, we finished all of the fruits.

Triple hot & cold combination

The dish was made up of a spicy jelly fish salad, which was crunchy and chewy and coated in a chilli and garlic sauce. It was not bad. I liked the shao mai too, which tasted of a mixture of fish and meat paste in the filling. The deep-fried dumpling, on the other hand, was soggy. So it was kind of off-puting.
Braised Sea Cucumber and Mixed Seafood Soup
The soup tasted funny. It was also way too starchy. Not nice.

Butter Garlic Rice
Hmn. It looked like a huge mess, didn' it? But it tasted surprisingly better than it looked. Though I could not taste any butter nor garlic, the rice was savoury enough to be eaten on its own.

Roasted Crispy Chicken With Prawn Crackers
I liked the chicken, especially after dipping in the Szechuan salt and lime mixture. The prawn crackers had softened. So they were soggy too.

Steamed tilapia in traditional sauce
There were bits of preserved radish and diced spring onions garnishing the fish and the soy gravy was alright. So, the fish was nice when eaten hot.

Braised Chinese Cabbage and Shredded Black Mushroom in Abalone Sauce
This dish was alright too, with the soft vegetables and chewy rich mushrooms complementing each other.

Well, I guess the food here is rather standard. Though some of the dishes were nice, really, there was nothing to be excited about. Perhaps that was also why I was bored. I already knew what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...