Sunday, July 1, 2012

Special Otah

"Smell this," D**** said, shoving something under my nose. I took hold of the roll which I saw in the darkness of the car, was snugly wrapped in an aluminium foil. It felt warm and smelt great.

"Pie?" I asked her.

"No, no, no!!! It's Otah," she said.

Otah? Somehow in my mind, I associate Otah with Singapore and Johor. For it was at those 2 places where I'd eaten Otah. But that was a long time ago. I remember eating the spiced fish paste, but I do not remember being impressed with it.

"Did you get it from Singapore?" I asked.

"No!!!! From Sibu!!"

Sibu? Geez, I sure did not know that Sibu had any association with Otah. Ok. So what made D**** bring back this Otah? It HAD to be GOOD. I mean, D**** knew of a certain someone in Sibu who KNEW where all the good food is.

And so .... I watched in suspense as D**** unfolded the aluminium foil and tore open a layer of banana leaf which wrapped the fish paste.

Ta-da!! 


"17 ingredients in there," D**** announced.

Wow, I was impressed even before I tasted it. Lol. Anyway, the Otah was a light turmeric yellow colour, and was surely very fragrant. I could smell and the variety of spices used. I'd not be able to name them though. The Otah was very tasty indeed, because the blend of spices complimented the fish very nicely. It also had good texture. My guess? The fish was probably flaked and not minced. Both W** and I enjoyed the Otah. Thanks for the treat, D****.   

W** happens to be going to Sibu this weekend .... and she promises to bring some back this trip ..... Yippee .... it looks like we are going to have more Otah from Payung Cafe @ Lanang Street, Sibu. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...