Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dinner @ Jon & Jay Bistro

"Good evening, ladies," a deep voice greeted us.

I did not recognise the chef at all. I did not know him, but my friends did. "Why are you here?" they asked him.

"Well, sometimes I'm there and sometimes I'm here," he replied.

Okie. "There" refers to Grand Palace Hotel and "here" refers to Jon & Jay Bistro. He was supervising the cooking at the Bistro.

Well, my friends and I were at Jon & Jay's for dinner the other day. We ordered ...

Sarawak Laksa
"Where're the prawns?" I asked when the bowl was placed on the table. There were, however, prawns swimming in the gravy somewhere. I never liked boiled eggs with laksa. It was inauthentic. The gravy needed a bit more tweaking, I thought. I did not like this dish.
 
Regata Pork Chop
Served with a cauliflower floret, coleslaw, french fries and a honey barbecue sauce
My friend thought the meat was too dry, but I did not think so. I liked the well-marinated meat and I thought the sauce went pretty well with the meat. Heck, I even liked the cauli which tasted of a faint hint of butter. The pork chop also came with an apple sauce, served separately in a little saucer. I thought the sauce was really tasty, fresh and fruity. Like.
Vermicelli and offal in wine soup
My friends kept saying that the smell of the wine was strong. Well, indeed it smelled strongly and very fragrantly of wine, which I liked. But when you taste the soup, however, you'd find that the it did not overpower. The boiling hot soup warmed my stomach, so I liked it. I also liked all the of fresh ingredients in there - the offal and what not.

New York Cheese Cake
My friend did not like the cheese cake, but I did. I thought it tasted really rich, creamy and cheesy, and not to sweet. It brought to me, a nice end to tonight's dinner. 

Well, I'd enjoyed myself tremendously, my friends liked the place but they thought that it was too far to drive out from the other end of town. Too bad, but fortunately for me, work place is just a stone's throw, so I'd be coming back more often in the future! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...