Thursday, May 29, 2014

Porridge And The Works

Alright. My throat was sore. Thanks to my generous helpings of bakuteh .... and what was best for me now was porridge.


Second Aunt cooked for me so much food ..... there was ginger and pork stirfry, french bean and egg stirfry, and steamed fish. I loved the fish the most as it was fresh and really sweet. 

The next day, Second Aunt again cooked for me ..... 



I love those little fishes, in which I could eat whole ..... even the tiny bones could be eaten. The okra, was homegrown, very soft and tender.

I love porridge dinners ... they always make me feel warm. Comfort food, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. That fish is heavenly especially with its hallmark crispy tail. However, I do prefer them not too large in size, as their bones would be rather hard and spiky to chew or swallow, especially the body portion. My family would call that Fish of The Phoenix Tail in Chinese, rightly so thanks to its long, prominent tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hans ..... yes, I love them tiny too, and deep-fried of course. Yes, it's called "Hong Buey" in Hokkien in my household ..... that's Pheonix Tail, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I bet it is. Hong(Feng in Mandarin)=Phoenix and Buey=Tail. I have no idea what is its common English name though. There's another fish that comes to my mind that is smallish like the size of this Hong Buey, also cooked with their heads removed. Its white and very slippery, I had only seen it cooked in soup. I think there's one major bone like a backbone that can't be eaten. The rest is just like sucking up the flesh and it slides into the mouth easily . I've wondered what that fish name is, I can't even recall its Chinese name. Haha, do you happen to know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hans, yes i know the fish you are referring to; my mon calls it 'toi hu' and she cooks it in a soup with glass vermicelli. I always love it lots. My Bidayuh friend calls it something else and she dips the fish whole in batter and deep-fries it; it's yum that way too!!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...