Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Long Journey

Drive? People exclaimed.

"You are driving?" People repeated.

Well, yes. Driving. Only it's not me who's going to drive. AT will be behind the wheel. He's going to send me home to Kuching, right to my doorstep.

I was worried that my little car would not make that 800km trip .... What I feared most was perhaps the car breaking down halfway ... and maybe even a tyre puncture. I was worried because AT had seemed rather nonchalant about it. He did not tell me, but in fact, he had gotten the car checked that morning ... The tyres? AT said we would change them in Sibu as it would be cheaper there.

We wanted to leave by 6.30 a.m. ... but after a bit of dilly dallying, we set off at 7.00 a.m., with AT driving consistently at 110 kmph .... soon we reached Suai, Kidurong, Bintulu, Tatau, Selangau, and finally Sibu. It was but 12.00 p.m. ....

There wasn't much traffic on the road that Sunday morning, and perhaps that made the whole journey seemed so smooth.

In Sibu, we stopped to change the car tyres .... and of course, it was a plate of kampua for lunch.

Sibu Kampua and a glass of three-layered tea
The noodles were rather fragrant, but I did not like there to be so little meat with it. I ate a few mouthfuls and let AT finish the rest. My driver needed extra energy. Lols. 

The next lag took us to Bintagor and Sarikei .... AT purposely brought me there as I had never been before in my entire life!


The little township of Bintagor  

Sarikei is famous for pineapples ... 

Past Sarikei, we slowed down a bit, it being unfamiliar territory. The road was also winding ... and we had to be extra alert. 

Getting dark .... and we're still not there yet .... 

We made it to Betong, Sri Aman, Serian and finally Kuching. At the outskirts of Kuching, I turned on the radio .... and Pharrell Williams' Happy was on the airwaves ..... That song epitomises my feeling at that moment. I was happy to be home after 2 decades.

inid2tell will now be based in Kuching. :))

3 comments:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...