Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Happy Gawai 2015

My colleague S cordially invited us to her open house at 10th mile Kuching this Gawai. She even drew us a map in case we did not know the way. Well, I surely did not know the way ... so I was glad that there were a few of us going together.

At about 10.30 a.m., we set off to her house at Kampung Simboh. It was a smooth drive out of the city, and it took a mere 30 minutes to reach there. Amongst us, my colleague R had been there before, so he sort of guided us.

We were just in time for lunch ..... for inside the house was a huge spread of food!

 Curries and meats and vegetables .... all homecooked by S' family

I opted for my favourites ..... 

 Homegrown kampung rice with ayam pansuh and pounded tapioca leaves, and some beef in dark soy sauce ... nothing beats homecooked local fare! 

Homemade Kuih Jala

S' sil made the kuih jala herself .... and she only makes it during Gawai. It was fresh and not soggy, so crunchy and not sweet. A very enjoyable snack indeed!

We left after a short while and made our way back to Kuching. :)) Happy Gawai to everyone. Gayu Guru Gerai Nyamai.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...