Friday, June 12, 2015

Uncle Ben's Delicious Sarawak Laksa

I'd been wanting to try Uncle Ben's Laksa - and I know that there's a stall at Coffee Talk selling. Well, there was laksa with clams and all the works .... but I wanted laksa in its purest form. Nothing fancy for me. So I ordered a regular bowl and there it was ....

Uncle Ben's Delicious Sarawak Laksa, RM6.00 

Here's another shot ....

Let's see how this fared .....

1) Visually appealing - the ingredients were neatly arranged, the broth was light coloured, with an orange-y hue.

2) Portion was alright - a reasonable amount of rice vermicelli noodles, but I wish that there could be more broth, perhaps another quarter to half a ladle would suffice.

3) Toppings - good amount of crunchy beansprouts, shredded chicken and egg omelette to go with the noodles; no coriander sprouts used here, but in its place were chopped cilantro.

4) Prawns - 3 medium sized ones, 2 were succulent and fresh, 1 was soft and unfresh.

5) Condiments - sambal was the moist type (unlike the dry one at Sweetie Pie's); pungent and not too spicy.

6) Gravy - the all important element that makes or breaks the laksa;
Spiciness - not at all, but then I have very high tolerance for chillies and spiciness.
Consistency - good, watery but not diluted, not too lemak or thick and rich with coconut milk
Taste - the gravy has an earthy, licorice-flavour - denoting a heavier use of spices. Reminded me of the laksa at Sin Poh Poh - but that one had an even heavier taste of spices.

What I really liked was that it was served really boiling hot for I hated lukewarm laksa. Overall, Uncle Ben's Delicious Sarawak Laksa was alright in my books - but certainly not enough to make me want to come back that soon. Worth a try though.:))

3 comments:

  1. Laksa at Alibaba cafe & Everyday cafe is a must try in Miri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...me too. Love the ordinary laksa only. Pls don't put 'cipala 'things inside my laksa..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alibaba Cafe & Everyday Cafe? I can't recall Alibaba Cafe .... but yes, I've eaten at Everyday Cafe before. Check out my link : http://inid2tell.blogspot.com/2014/05/breakfast-everyday-cafe.html. Haven't tried the laksa, though.

    PCP84 : Well, ya .... I loved authentic laksa like I have eaten it all my life, and not those with fancy seafood. :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...