Sunday, June 21, 2015

Rain, Rain At Siniawan

I've been to Siniawan 4 times prior to this. Twice I went in the day, and twice at night. Somehow, on the nights that I had gone there, it seemed to be always raining. Read here and here. So I have never had the chance to dine al fresco at Siniawan. Sigh. On the days that I'd gone there, however, the weather was always good. Read here and here.

My cousin J asked whether we would like to go to Siniawan for dinner ..... so the whole car load of us went. On the way, it started to pour. Quite heavy, really. Darn. Fifth Aunt predicted that we would end up having dinner at Singapore Chicken Rice. But of course, we would not have it! We wanted to go to Siniawan.

So we persisted with the journey ... and was dropped off at one end of the old shops. It was an ingenious manouver by my cousin so we did not have to brave the rain. We walked one round before grabbing a table at Yong Tai Cafe. Then we proceeded to buy the stuff we wanted to eat.

Oooh .... raining cats and dogs .... 

We got lots of food to eat ...... 

Mini burgers, RM10.00 for 6 pieces
We ordered 3 chicken burgers and 3 pork burgers; of the 2, I preferred the chicken burgers as I felt the chicken chunk of meat was tastier and more succulent, compared to the minced pork patty which I felt was rather soft and unflavourful.

Roti John
I did not quite like this .... but I could savour the curry filling with egg ... 

From Yong Tai Cafe, we ordered ..... 

Stir-fried kolo mee 
Very delicious to eat while hot. The noodles were a bit smoky in flavour, yet savoury, aromatic and together with crunchy beansprouts, it was really yummy.

Crispy kolo mee with tomato sauce
The noodles were not over-fried ..... and were crunchy. I loved the intense flavour of the tomato sauce gravy ..... let the noodles soak in the gravy for a while before you eat so that it would soak in all the gravy. Yummy, really nice. 

Kolo mee
This was only RM3.00 and it was such a big, big bowl. We loved the springiness of the noodles tossed in aromatic shallot oil. Yums. 

Deep-fried cuttlefish, RM8.00
We loved this lots! The crust coating the succulent cuttlefish was thin and crispy, and tasted o a hint of curry flavour. We finished this platter of cuttlefish, and went back to buy a second serving! 

Pork skewers, RM3.00 each
Hmn .... somehow I didn't find these skewers as tasty as I did before .... there was even 1 left which no one had wanted to eat ..... 

Black Tortoise Kueh, RM0.50
Dad said this was a Hakky delicacy named "Chi Kak Ku" ... the pastry was made black with the addition of  "Chi Kak" herb. The filling was that of red bean.

Not in the picture were rojak, a serving of fatty char siew and red hot chicken wings. We were stuffed silly! After so many trips, I believed this was the one which I had enjoyed the most. All of us enjoyed ourselves very much. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...