Thursday, June 11, 2015

Very Nice Restaurant Roasted Duck Rice & Noodles

I bought this deal at Supermain quite some time ago. Today I went to redeem it at Very Nice Restaurant (海福天) at Rock Road.

The deal :
2 plates of Hong Kong style duck noodles or rice for RM9.00, instead of RM15.00. That means I was paying RM9.00 for RM15.00 worth of food. That means each plate was worth RM7.50.


The real thing .....

Roasted duck rice with clear soup, ground chilli for the rice; the other saucer with pickled cut chillies is for the noodles 

Duck noodles 

My comments :
1) I do not think the rice or noodles were worth RM7.50 each. I checked the menu. A regular plate was RM5.00. It was the drumstick set that cost RM7.50. If you look closely at the duck slices on my plate, no drumstick was visible. That means I was paying RM9.00 for something worth only RM10.00, and NOT RM15.00 like it was stated on the deal that I bought. Again - to put it in a very ugly way - I was cheated. 

2) The rice was flavoured, soft and fluffy - luckily Mom liked it. The noodles were springy and aromatic - luckily quite nice. No one commented on the duck - so it wasn't that great at all - nowhere near the standard and quality that we get at IPH Roasted at Jalan Sekama. 

3) Hong Kong style? I'd be ashamed to call this Hong Kong style roasted duck.

With the noodles, I ordered also .... 

Yam puffs, RM4.00

The filling .... 

Har Gao, RM4.50

Xiao Long Bao, RM5.00

All the dim sum weren't impressive and weren't nice. The Xiao Long Bao filling was hardly soupy and had a strong ginger taste. I also hated that hard lump of pastry atop the dumpling.  

From the kolo mee stall ...... 

Kolo kueh tiaw in red char siew sauce, RM3.50

In the end, my favourite item that morning would be the kueh tiaw. :)) 

Group deals like Supermain? I had been disappointed countless of times. Hmn ..... I should buy with caution next time ..... and I should not expect that any of the deals would live up to expectations. That's really sad actually. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi.. I've been there before. Three to four times may be... and all I can eat is laksa. The taste ok nia... very pricey.. RM 5 and RM 6. According to my bf the kolo mee here is must try one. He said very nice ..and every time he ordered the bowl with chi liao (fresh pork liver and some prawn). I think its very worth. Just RM 5. U should try next time. Another food u should try here is kompia, also from kolo mee stall .3pcs for RM 2.50 if not mistaken. According to my bf (as I can't eat the kompia because the filling is pork), the kompia is very nice.. oh ya, my bf did tried the dim sum menu, hmmm...he ordered fried Japanese dumpling.. The taste sucks and u guess how much? 3 pcs for RM 4. Not worth then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laksa stall was closed the day I went there. The noodles at the kolo mee stall had finished, so I had to settle for kueh tiaw. I did like the kueh tiaw. Yes, I saw that they sold kompia, but I did not feel like it the other day. I'll try it some other time. The dumplings were all very disappointing, not nice at all.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...