Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Nasi Lemak in Kuching : Spore Nasi Lemak @ Coffee Talk

Where is it that sells the best nasi lemak in Kuching? Hmn .... it's all very subjective, where different people have different preferences. My favourites have always been the cheap and messy ones that I can get by the street side in Kuala Lumpur.

Hearsay tells me that one of the stalls selling very good nasi lemak in Kuching is at Coffee Talk. So, I was curious to know whether it would be overrated. On that particular day, when I got there at mid-morning, I did see a lot of patrons enjoying nasi lemak from this particular stall named "Spore Nasi Lemak". 

I ordered the the Nasi Lemak with Fried Chicken, RM6.50. 

Nasi Lemak with Fried Chicken, RM6.50; Kopi Peng, RM2.20

A closer look. 
The nasi lemak was served on a flat weaved basket lined with brown paper, actually.

Okie, here's a breakdown of the different items on my platter .... 

Papadum - the papadum was broken into bite-sized pieces; I got 3 pieces. Of which, 1 piece was crispy and well-fried. 2 of the other pieces were soft and soggy already, so those were a disappointment. 

Rice - warm, fluffy, fragrant and lemak. I detected the use of santan or coconut milk in the rice, so yes, I did like the rice. 

Sambal - slightly dry, and not the watery type; sweet, savoury and pungent. Not spicy at all for me. Mix the sambal together with the rice, and they complemented each other very well. 

Fried egg - instead of hard-boiled egg, the nasi lemak was served with a beautifully-rounded sunny side up. The yolk was runny, just the way I liked it. 

Fried chicken - crisp on the outside ... but so so soft and tender inside. Tasted very much of curry. The crust was salty so that it was great to eat with the rice. 

Cucumbers - 2 slices, skinned. Crisp and fresh. :)) 

Anchovies and peanuts - very small portions; Upon seeing the platter, my first thought was that the vendors were very stingy with the sambal, anchovies and peanuts. But because there were a lot of things on the plate to eat with the rice, the little portion of sambal, anchovies and peanuts were actually sufficient. It was a very enjoyable meal in the end. 

Is this the best nasi lemak in Kuching for me? I'd say that Spore Nasi Lemak is very good, certainly one of the better nasi lemaks in town. It kind of reminded me of the one at Old Town White Coffee but at a more affordable price. I'd recommend Spore Nasi Lemak to all avid nasi lemak lovers in Kuching. :))  

2 comments:

  1. How is it compared to the one at the Summit Cafe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, Summit's nasi lemak is still tastier. I haven't found one comparable here. Summit's specialty rendang really goes well with the steaming hot and fragrant coconut rice, and the generous amount of tasty sambal just made the whole eating experience more enjoyable and satisfying. Spore Nasi Lemak is one of the better ones in Kuching, but quite similar to the one at Old Town White Coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...