Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Barley Gingko & Beancurd Sheet Dessert

I first had this when I was in KL many years back. My housemate, who hailed from Ipoh, had a craving so bad that she resorted to cooking this dessert herself, and the entire troupe in the house had the privilege to sample it when it was done!

Ever since then, I myself am fond of the Barley Gingko & Beancurd Sheet dessert. I've tried cooking it only once. I find it too tedious, actually as I had to boil the ingredients for a long time.

But now there is a place where I can indulge in it, and it's Dessert Master at Boulevard Commercial Centre here in Miri.

I've had this desert a few times at this outlet. I prefer to have it cold, though its taste good when hot too.
 
What I like is the combination of textures and flavours in this dessert. The broth is infused with flavours from the screwpine leaves, barley and of course the soy from the beancurd sheets. The textures too are varied - from the thick syrup, to the chewy barley pearls, gingko and beancurd sheet, and the crunchy shaved ice.

However, the shop is not very consistent sometimes. The beancurd sheets, this time around for example, comes in very large pieces as seen in the picture. Sometimes, they are completely mashed up. My preference? Not the large sheets, for sure. I prefer them torn up in very small pieces - for a smoother and a more refined texture. I'd even add an egg in there to bind everything together, and of course, for extra flavour!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...